Pathogenesis of Pangasinan Literature 1



A few years back, I thought of writing a collection of verse in Pangasinan dialect but it only materialized when I posted or published my first attempts online a couple of months ago or so.



I am compelled to right in Pangasinan because I refuse to accept that it is a dying dialect. I believe it did not flourish for one reason: our ancestors have not preserved theirs souls in print.



If there are any existing literary works nowadays written in the said dialect, then they are treasures to be found. Pangasinan literature unlike the Iloco literature is transmitted orally and most, if not all, Pangasinan poets and writers penned their works in Filipino (Tagalog) and/or English language.



I do not recall reading a Pangasinan poem or story while still in school except the version of the Bible and the so-called Lunario. I've not even seen a print version of Malinac Lay Labi - a popular Pangasinan kundiman or serenade.



I heard the song from my grandmother and learned it by heart. But as to the lyrics, I am not sure if it is the original version, again, the mere fact that it is transmitted orally. I don’t' even have any idea about the background of the song, about its composer. (That remains to be discovered on my part.)



In the News: A young poet's legacy

SOON to appear in the bookshops is Beauty for Ashes, an anthology of poetry and essays, a tribute to the talent of Maningning Miclat, the poet and painter who died at the young age of 28. Full Article



World Poetry Day onwards by Alfred A. Yuson (PhilStar: LIFESTYLE FEATURE - Arts and Culture)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About | Santiago Villafania

Gamal: A Collection of Pangasinan Short Stories