This is my third poem in English this month and though still a work-in-progress I already sent it with the poem Urduja for possible publication. In Talam-asin 1324, I used some elements from Pangasinan mythology. For example in the first drafts of the poem, I used Orpheus for Tumatagaumen and Poseidon for Karanuman. I don't know if it will work but I will definitely experiment on my succeeding poems using anything Pangasinan.



I am also currently revising some of my old poems. Will post them here as soon as I see fit :)



Talam-asin (Bolinao) 1324



i.



among

the merchant Moors

he was the only soul

of the Franciscan Order

aboard a vessel

bound to China

in the year

thirteen hundred

twenty and four



he was Odorico

of Pordenone

Ambassador to

the court of Ming

and missionary

in the time

of friars and pirates

of galleons and discoveries

of Gold God and Glory be

if you have a country

of spices



ii.



perhaps

it was fate

that brought him

to disembark

and take refuge

on the shores

of Talam-asin



he was not

a Tumatagaumen¹

his prayer-songs

had no power

over storms

and gales



in the demesne

of a warrior-princess

a Holy Mass was held

to give thanks to the saved lives

from the wrath of Karanuman²

inhabitants were blessed

and christened

in the name of

a crucified

God



iii.



when the seas calmed

the Arab vessel resumed

its voyage into the land

of jade and silk



and it came to pass

only the spirit of the place

can bear witness

to the deeds

of the good

father



it was not written

in the pages of history

but in a fragment of a poem

written on a tablet of stone

buried in the Afric

of my mind



¹ Pre-Pangasinic High Priest; poet

² God of the Sea in Pangasinan mythology

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About | Santiago Villafania

Gamal: A Collection of Pangasinan Short Stories