Poetry and the Mystery of Language by Danny Sillada

FOREWORD

I would like to share my essay, a review on a Filipino poet, which will be published at the local literary journal (magazine). The poet is my friend, one of my most admired Filipino poets writing in his native tongue.

I am passionate about this essay because I have my own struggle as a writer with a great desire to write in my native language. But unlike my friend, I had written only few pieces in my lingua franca and 98% of my writings are in English.

I must humbly admit that I studied several languages and spoke three native Filipino languages, yet I am writing in English. I feel guilty about it, but I have no choice because I could reach a wider audience writing in English.

The following essay is about Poetry as a revelation of truth in the context of native language. This is a critical review based on a Filipino poet, Sonny Villafania, who is writing in his native Pangasinan language with his second book "MALAGILION: Sonnets tan Villanelles".

This is also my tribute to the 170 Filipino native languages spoken by 89,000,000 Filipino people inhabiting the 7,107 Philippine islands. Read more...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About | Santiago Villafania

Gamal: A Collection of Pangasinan Short Stories